WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Spelt n Sweet Potato Scones



Spelt n Sweet Potato Scones

These were super yummy....super light AND delicious!  
Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius...

In one bowl add...
2 cups of spelt flour
1 1/2 cups plain flour
7 tspns baking powder....and sift 3 or 4 times
add to this 55g of softened butter and rub butter into flour.
add 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or other sugar) and blend.

In another bowl mix the following...
1 egg
1 cup (preferably cold) steamed sweet potato flesh..... (I usually fill the steamer with either sweet potato or pumpkin, then bag it into 1 or 2 cup bags and pop in the freezer...For a quick defrost, lay your bags flat to freeze, then store them upright in the veg basket in your freezer....it takes no time to defrost when some scones are on the planner)
1/4 cup yoghurt
1/4 cup milk

Now add the wet mix to the dry mix and blend until combined...
Roll onto floured board, the mix will be rather wet....keep floured so it doesn't stick.
Cut rounds using an inverted glass, dipping the glass in flour with each cut.
Place on baking tray and cook until golden brown, usually about 18 to 20 minutes in hot oven.



Do you ever make sweet potato scones? If you try making this recipe, do come back and tell me how they went. I'd love to hear your feedback.

I'm off to Jamberoo today for the Jamberoo Weekly Artisan Markets...I hope to buy some lovely Blood Limes grown locally at Jamberoo Valley Farm.......you can read about the Blood Lime Orchard here.

What's your plans for today?

6 comments:

  1. These look yummy and would be a bit of a change from my regular pumpkin scones. Missing you on the DTE forum and don't know if you realise it crashed and had to be moved. Having trouble contacting you via email through your blog contact.
    Hugs, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy :)
    Cheers
    Juan
    www.homecheesemaking.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tip re freezing cooked pumpkin/sweet potato. During the week I made 3 doz of Lady Flo's pumpkin scones and was actually wondering if I could package the cooked pumpkin to freeze for later. I was so surprised to see the answer to my question in your scone recipe. I will try your recipe too. It looks delicious. Have you tried freezing the scones too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, your welcome. It's always lovely to hear such great feedback. Yes you can also freeze the scones. Happy scone baking.

      Delete
  4. Very ncie post and i like this information thank's for your share

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...