WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Peppermint Tea & Salad

While out in the garden today in the pouring rain...Picking lovely fresh greens, radishes and spring onions...I thought it would be nice to steep some Peppermint.....I enjoy a Peppermint Tea with a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it slightly.


Tea for two
It gives me great satisfaction to be able to gather food from the garden at this time of year....even though it wasn't good hearty veg....I was able to gather enough greens, radishes and spring onions to make a good base for tonight's salad. And to think....I thought there was nothing in my garden.

I even gather the younger radish stems...
they too taste like radish.
(carrot stems are good for salad too for the same reason)

Tatsoi leaves.....notice I keep the good stem off the half eaten leaves.
The snacked on leaves go to the Bokashi bin...
and I add the stems and healthy leaves to the salad.
I also gathered lots of "pick as you grow" salad leaves of three different varieties, 4 small Kale leaves, some lovely young Sorrel leaves, Italian Parsley, Oregano and Chives.....All this made a lovely salad tossed in a mix of two of my home-made vinegars...(Red Wine Vinegar & Fruit Salad Vinegar)

I am loving using my vinegars as salad dressings....during the summer we go through alot of salad dressing...I don't think I will be buying salad dressing anymore....experimenting with my home made vinegars is proving to be a great learning curve.
I found some huge glass clip lock jars the other day for $3.95...they are much larger than the ones I used for making my citrus cleaner.....so today I have put down three more vinegars...two fruit salad vinegars and one Apple Cider Vinegar....Tomorrow I will add some Mother to each one and take photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...