WELCOME to my BLOG

Hi there!

I’m slowly working towards some simplicity within the home, but hey! It’s a lot of hard work!

I love having a go at growing my own veges and always use herbs fresh from my garden. I try to plant from seed whenever I can and have learnt to save and share my own seed for the following year. I make Award Winning preserves and pickles; and my husband brews Award Winning boutique beers as well. I love to stockpile and try to limit quick trips to the shops. I dabble in bread making and enjoy making my own stocks too.

I enjoy feeding my family good hearty meals, nothing like those tiny restaurant stacks you have to look for on the plate. My husband maintains our vehicles and machinery and we both enjoy fabricating on a small scale mostly relying on metal & timber recyclers for any materials needed.


While I don’t always have time to reply to comments, I love reading them. I hope you enjoy your stay and I hope you learn something new because I love sharing what I learn, and I'm always looking for another new skill myself.

Cheers!

Monday, May 16, 2011

In the garden today

The weather is getting colder, and I have been putting off some work in the garden. Today I finally got around to doing what has needed to be done for a few weeks now.

On a recent visit to Bundanoon I was gifted some seeds...they are out of date, but I planted extra to allow for that. Thanks Maree for the seeds.


It's a bit of a reach over the dog fences, and with aches from the cold weather;
I was a bit sloppy with planting the Peas, but they are out of date, so extra won't hurt.
Using a tomato steak to make the planting line and cover seeds helps to eliminate bending.

Gifted Radish Seed Tape....I have never used seed tape before.

Red Spring Onions.....make a deep line for planting.
Place each seedling in separately, then gently fill in with extra soil.
The seedlings will soon stand up and be happy
once over the shock of being transplanted.
********************************************
 Spuds, Spuds and more spuds......

I bought some Kipfler potatoes a few months back, 
and kept the larger ones aside for seed.
Storing them in a brown paper bag is good, 
as they don't like the light.
See the one that is cut in half.
If you have a seed potato with two eyes spaced apart from each other,
you can cut the seed in half and get two plants from the one seed.

Tub #1: A large pot

Tub #2: A 20 Litre bucket with a hole cut in the bottom....
last used for an hanging upside
down  tomato plant which wasn't so successful.
The tomato plant used all its energy to turn
the right way up, and didn't produce much fruit.

Tub #3: A Potato Bag, gifted to me by Mum.
 I have added about 20cm of soil to each tub, planted the seed potatoes and covered them with another layer of soil. Once the leaves start to show through the soil, I will add another layer of soil, thus producing another layer of potatoes. I have never planted potatoes before.

I must be doing something right, I have been finding a lot of lovely
fat worms in my composted soil.
Last time I was in the garden I was finding them even bigger than this one.
I am wearing gloves because I have some bad cuts
on my hands that I am trying to protect.
 ********************************************
 Mice and Rats hate the smell of baked egg shells.
I sometimes have trouble with rats eating my young seedlings, 
I have since been told that they can't stand the smell of baked egg shells,
so they got sprinkled where I planted radishes and a few rows of Carrots and Peas today.

Newly planted Radishes from seed tape.....
behind is some almost ready to pick.

Newly planted Peas along the fence
and Carrots up the end.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this. I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. Thanks!

    All the best,

    Charles Fosbrook
    Website

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...